My daughters love to decorate for the holidays and Valentine’s Day is no different. My mom showed me how to weave paper heart baskets years ago, and I’ve been wanting to weave some out of felt ever since. Yesterday I pulled out my stash of craft felt and got to work.
Here’s what you need to make woven heart baskets:
* Felt scraps, rectangles or yardage in at least two contrasting colors (You will need two 6 1/2″ x 20″ rectangles of felt to make the largest woven heart.)
* Fabric scissors & regular scissors
* Pencil or water soluble pen to trace template onto the felt
* Basket template (Download the PDF templates.)
* Velcro with adhesive backing (1″ square per heart)
* Ribbon to create handles for the basket (optional)
* Candy or other treats to put in the hearts
1) Cut out your template. Place it on the fold of a piece of felt and cut around. Repeat to cut out a felt piece in a contrasting color. Hold your template and a cut piece of felt up to a window and trace the cutting lines. Fold both layers of felt in half and stack them on top of each other with the piece marked with cutting lines on top.
2) Cut the slits up from the folded edge through both layers.
3) Now you’re ready to weave and the easiest way to show you how to make these hearts is to literally show you. So please check out the late night video my husband shot while I demonstrated how to weave one. The video was shot in one take, so brace yourself. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough to get the job done.
After watching the video, take a deep breath and start weaving. Instead of thinking of the weaving as an “over-under” weave structure, think of it more of an “inside-outside” kind of weave. You can do it!
Note: I decided not to add basket handles to my hearts, but you can add them to yours and then it will make sense when you call them “baskets.” : )
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
P.S. I did a demo of this project on WZZM’s “Take Five & Co.” morning show today.