CraftSanity on TV: Recycled Plastic Pounches, Aprons Sewn From Men’s Dress Shirts & A Chance to Win Betz White’s New Book

by jennifer

Today I did a speedy, fused plastic pouch demo on WZZM’s “Take Five & Company” using the clear plastic bags that my newspaper is delivered in on rainy days.

To get the confetti look, I put random snippets of a colorful Charmin toilet paper wrapper inside the clear plastic bag, then fused the layers together between two pieces of wax paper using a warm iron. Next, I slid the fused pieced inside a second bag and pressed it between the wax paper one more time, creating a thicker piece of plastic.

I tri-folded the plastic to form a pouch, then placed sticky-backed Velcro on the inside top flap and corresponding area on the front of the pounch. Then I zig-zag stitched around each piece of Velcro to secure before moving on to stitch up each side of the pouch. The last step is to trim the edges and fill with business cards.

This project can be made with regular plastic shopping bags, too. However I like working with the clear bags best.

.The mound of fabric that was piled up in front of me at the end of this morning’s segment was a clear indication that my live demo of the “Striped Cafe Apron” from Betz White’s new book “Sewing Green” book was successful in not giving away too much. Hopefully my apron love and the chance we’re offering you to win a copy of this awesome book (Read my Q&A with Betz to find out how to enter by May 4.) will make up for all my fabric wadding.

It’s challenging to do this project justice in two minutes, but the directions on p. 14 of “Sewing Green” are clear and easy to follow. Just give yourself more than 2 minutes to make the project and you’ll be fine. This project is really fun and seriously addictive for apron-crazed women like me.

The great thing about this pattern is that it can be interpreted in countless ways. I added a layer underneath embellished with eyelet trim to the version that I made. The possibilities are endless.

After I made apron ties out of the sleeves, I was left with two shirt cuffs. Betz shows readers how to make wallets out of these in her book (p. 62), but the cuffs on this shirt were a little too small for that. So I decided to make a little flower bracelet instead. I just grabbed some scrap denim and cut out a couple flower shapes, one slightly larger than the other. Then I zigzagged the edges of both and secured the flower shapes to the center of the cuff with an old button. Thanks for the inspiration, Betz!

Check out CraftSanity podcast interviews with Betz on episodes 24 and 68.

You may also like

245 comments

1800access.net December 17, 2015 - 9:04 pm

Find out what the cost of remediation of the home will be.
It is essential to address any water problem in 24-48 hours.
A mold inspection and a possibly, relatively inexpensive remediation effort will solve your mold issue(s) and preserve your dream.

where to make custom shirts December 18, 2015 - 2:55 am

Currently it appears like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform out there right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

beststarhotelintirupur.tumblr.com December 18, 2015 - 5:31 am

Appreciation to my father who told me about this
blog, this weblog is actually remarkable.

alatukurotomotif.com December 18, 2015 - 10:28 am

I feel that is one of the most impokrtant info for me.
And i am happy reading your article. However wanna statement on few common issues, The website taste is ideal, the articles is
actually great : D. Excellet process, cheers

voyage mexique aout December 18, 2015 - 2:40 pm

Le guide va au-dela du straightforward voyage touristique et sensibilise le lecteur sur d’autres facets du pays.

Chana December 18, 2015 - 6:39 pm

If you wish for to grow your familiarity simply keep visiting this site and be updated with the newest information posted here.

Laurene December 18, 2015 - 7:02 pm

Blog writing– promote your business.
Lots of firms now utilize blogging web pages as an informal means of
connecting with their customers. For the smaller sized, or brand-new
business owners, it’s a superb method to advertise their items without expensive
marketing costs. Merely by uploading a normal blogging column, small firms
can frequently draw in even more business compared to by the a lot more
conventional approaches.
Those who are working full time may not think that they
have the time to have one of these procedures, but in many cases people can be back to
work in just a few days. While a teenager (especially a celebrity) getting
plastic surgery in Los Angeles is hardly shocking, the rumors
about Kylie raised eyebrows because her mom, Kris Jenner, and dad, Bruce Jenner, both admitted getting numerous plastic surgeries.
Patients are typically back to work just seven days post-operation.

youtube to mp3 December 20, 2015 - 2:36 am

All downloaded videos with the detailed information like video
size, format and backbone are listed.

blog voyage sri lanka sud December 21, 2015 - 6:40 am

Attention, J12 au moment de passer la douane en entrant aux Maldives (pour
le join Sri Lanka – Maldives) le nom de votre hotel aux Maldives vous sera demande.

Alfonzo December 21, 2015 - 7:46 am

El Open profesional se ha desarrollado, desde la zona de Peña
La Vieja hasta La Puntilla.

tourism December 21, 2015 - 1:42 pm

It’s awesome designed for me to have a web site, which is good in favor of my knowledge.
thanks admin

Irlik December 21, 2015 - 2:51 pm

Fine way of explaining, and pleasant article to get data concerning my presentation subject matter, which i
am going to deliver in university.

Christmas Around the World December 21, 2015 - 11:57 pm

Originally, many of the celebrations were reminders that the
“light” would return, however, some have their own historic or cultural origins.
Glue them to form the base of a broom, fanning the pieces out.
You need to pick something that is classy as well as conveys how much you love him or her.

university of kelaniya December 22, 2015 - 2:19 am

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this.
I will forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Thank you for sharing!

Lorna December 22, 2015 - 7:45 am

The patron and the business buyer have eeach moved to the Intternet ass their
prime source of information and goods, so it’s crucial that the advertising
models observe.

new email service December 22, 2015 - 9:34 pm

I feel that is among the such a lot important information for me.
And i am satisfied reading your article. But wanna observation on some general things, The website style is ideal,
the articles is in point of fact great : D. Good process, cheers

Weetabix Breakfast Weight Loss December 23, 2015 - 3:34 am

The high gloss crystal clear covers let your customized front and
back pages show through allowing for endless customizable
opportunities to create a completely unique look.
It’s nothing new, but exercise is probably the most important predictor
of whether you will succeed at long term weight loss and weight loss maintenance.
I’m going to assume that you already know that sugar is not the way to
go if you want to lose weight, but what about the artificially sweetened drinks.

SheetMusicNotes December 23, 2015 - 4:10 am

Classical music aficionados laughed at this notion, pointing out that there
is a timelessness to the violin and piano and other classical instruments.
Constant dialogue through these platforms is bound to not just
positively influence your popularity but also generate greater sales.

R&B music is huge and probably the most popular of all
the music categories.

www.addpoll.com December 23, 2015 - 7:23 am

Aromatherapy massage: is an enjoyable massage treatment kind and entails making use of
vital oils The necessary oils are plant extracts with healing top qualities.

Caridad December 23, 2015 - 2:58 pm

Likewise, most of the massage therapy is done on the floor, as opposed to a massage table and also there was
little conversation of physical body mechanics of the therapist.

1 2 3 13