Now’s The Time To Whip Up Some Hademade Holiday Hostess Gifts

by jennifer

I’m going green this Christmas thanks to Sue Elenbaas, a Grand Rapids Press reader from Borculo, Mich. Last weekend I hung out with Sue and her friends and learned how to make a simple potholder that doubles as a great hot pad. Sue also showed us how to make wonderful circular cloth napkins that look lovely when folded into little Christmas trees. I’m planning to scrap the paper napkins and use the cloth Christmas napkins on my own holiday table this year, and I’ve already made some potholders for teacher and hostess gifts.

So, check out today’s craft column and download directions to make some potholders and napkins of your own. Here’s a bit of the column that appears in the Home & Garden section of today’s GR Press to get you started….

Don’t ask me to tell you about the 50 Texas longhorns, 45 chickens, the horse, pony or assortment of barn cats on the Borculo hobby farm I visited last weekend. I wasn’t paying attention.

I may have driven through the menagerie without noticing because I was in the craft zone, completely focused on getting inside the house where Sue Elenbaas, 50, was hosting an informal craft gathering for four longtime friends.

Elenbaas had sent me a pilgrim-print potholder, a gesture that inspired me to travel to Ottawa County on the weekend to find out how she makes them and collect other last-minute Christmas gift ideas. A total party crasher, I surprised a carload of her friends in the driveway.

“She didn’t tell us you were coming,” one woman said.

Keep reading…

Update: I just uploaded some how-to videos

You may also like

139 comments

birkenstock online September 19, 2017 - 11:53 pm

Its about time I piped in although this was a pretty cool belief for.
birkenstock online http://www.birkenstockonline.cc

social services maryland anne arundel county September 19, 2017 - 11:54 pm

Hey! Quick question that’s completely off topic.
Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4.

I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this problem.
If you have any suggestions, please share. Cheers!

http://cornerstone-countertops.com/onlineshop.asp September 20, 2017 - 1:02 am

Recieved it product before the day provided in a very wonderful gifts package . On visualize that’s displayed for the bracelet is actually exactly what you are going to recieve. This might be quite fine however the best gorgeous part out of jewelry which will endure mainly because iof that toggle clasp and is quite sturdy so the bracelet eill not be removed.

cartier love bracelet replica September 20, 2017 - 1:02 am

Recieved the product prior to the day provided in a very good present container . The actual photo that is displayed for bracelet are what you will recieve. This is extremely fragile still the breathtaking section out of jewelry that will past simply because iof the particular toggle clasp and is extremely durable so the bracelet eill maybe not be removed.

moncler jackets outlet September 20, 2017 - 2:22 am

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really know what youre talking about! Bookmarked. Please also visit my website =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!
moncler jackets outlet http://www.moncleroutletonlineu.us

http://www.communitycapitalny.org/wp-shoes.php September 20, 2017 - 5:05 am

Recieved the item prior to the day presented in a very cool gift package . The photo that is displayed for bracelet is what you’ll recieve. This is extremely sensitive still any striking piece to precious jewelry that will endure due to the fact iof ones toggle clasp and that is really robust so that the bracelet eill maybe not come off.

christian louboutin replica September 20, 2017 - 5:06 am

This is an great gifts towards your very own loved ones. I would strongly incourage individuals to get this it will make a great gifts. The transmitter will a good day work in obtaining some sort of stuff on top of time period. I bought my personal items each day ago and I also reveived it really accelerated.

cheap fitflop sandals September 20, 2017 - 5:21 am

I would like to use the ability of saying thanks to you for that professional guidance I have usually enjoyed checking out your site. Im looking forward to the commencement of my college research and the overall prep would never have been complete without surfing your web blog. If I might be of any assistance to others, I would be ready to help by way of what I have learned from here.
cheap fitflop sandals http://www.cheapfitflop.store

Tristan September 20, 2017 - 6:17 am

Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one? Thanks a lot!

mk black friday outlet September 20, 2017 - 7:22 am

I’d be inclined to see eye to eye with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!
mk black friday outlet http://www.zaoppo.co.uk

Hubert September 20, 2017 - 7:59 am

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Bless you!

http://www.ljusihus.se/gzreplica.aspx September 20, 2017 - 9:14 am

Recieved the product before the date given in a very nice gifts package . On photo that’s revealed for bracelet was what you will recieve. This really is quite sensitive but letter breathtaking part regarding jewelry which will continue as iof the toggle clasp and that is most durable so that the bracelet eill not really be removed.

north face for sale September 20, 2017 - 9:51 am

Just thought I would comment and say great theme, did you code it yourself? It looks superb!
north face for sale http://www.northfaceclearance.online

Skechers Shoes sale September 20, 2017 - 12:21 pm

Resources such as the 1 you mentioned right here will be incredibly useful to myself! Ill publish a hyperlink to this web page on my particular blog. I am certain my site visitors will discover that fairly useful.
Skechers Shoes sale http://www.skecherssale.online

hermes bracelet replica September 20, 2017 - 1:32 pm

Recieved this product prior to the time presented in a really kind present box . The actual visualize that’s displayed for the bracelet is actually exactly what you are going to recieve. This is really delicate however a beautiful part out of jewelry that will final mainly because iof some sort of toggle clasp and is most robust so that the bracelet eill not really be removed.

Magali September 20, 2017 - 2:28 pm

I have been browsing on-line greater than 3 hours today, yet I by no means found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty price enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the internet will likely be much more useful than ever before.

alexander mcqueen outlet store September 20, 2017 - 2:52 pm

I feel this condition might be treatable.
alexander mcqueen outlet store http://www.alexandermcqueenoutlet.store

Pierre Hardy outlet online September 20, 2017 - 5:23 pm

Hey thanks for the infomation.
Pierre Hardy outlet online http://www.pierrehardyoutlet.online

bvlgari rings replica September 20, 2017 - 5:39 pm

Recieved that product prior to the date given in a really amazing present container . That visualize that’s presented for bracelet are exactly what you’ll recieve. This is extremely fine still letter striking section concerning precious jewelry which will endure considering iof that the toggle clasp and is extremely solid so the bracelet eill never come off.

1 5 6 7