Dish scrubbies & the fair pricing debate

1. fun4Tracey says:

Having done no market research whatsoever, I would think it would be hard to get more then $2.50 for each scrubbie – maybe 3 for $5. While the scrubbies are adorable and handmade, utilitarian items just can’t be priced like baby items, wearables, or even decorative pieces at craft/art shows (in my experience).

Thanks Jennifer for your continuing good work in the arts & crafts area. I’m a big fan!

2. jennifer says:

Thanks for weighing in. It’s true that people often don’t want to pay very much for cleaning supplies. I just feel uncomfortable about paying someone too little for their handwork. This then raises the question: Is this a craft worth making to sell? I personally would not be willing to make scrubbies and sell them for $2.50 each. However, I’m at a different place in my life than Virginia. My perspective may change when I reach my 70s. If the seller is content, does that make it okay to underpay for an item?

3. Carolyn says:

I agree with both you and Tracey–if I were making them I would want something on the range of $3-4 for each one but as a buyer I might balk at $4, particuarly if I wasn’t crafty and didn’t know how much work went into them. But OTOH, you need to make a living, and if you can make 3 per hour, at $3 each that’s a salary of $9/hour.

4. jen says:

i’d be willing to pay $4 for a scrubbie, probably more if there was something really special about it (fiber content, some tiny embellishment, etc). i realize the work involved, and that it’s made by hand instead of something rolled out by the millions in a factory in china.

items that are crafted well last longer. maybe most people don’t think about that. in the long run it’s cheaper to buy handmade, not to mention the ‘specialness’ of an item made by hand. also, when you buy something locally made, you are helping out your neighbor, so to speak, and that helps your community.

5. Dulce says:

Hi. I’m not sure about the pricing. Scrubbies like the ones in the photo are pretty quick to make, but then again… the time it takes you is not the only aspect to take into account. Carolyn points out that “if you can make 3 per hour, at $3 each that’s a salary of $9/hour.” Not quite. You also have to consider the materials involved, which represent a cost to the maker.
    Anyway, from my experience of “making”, when you think of a reasonable price for any crafted item, if you think about the time it takes you to make it, you will never get anyone to pay a fair price for it.
    The “value” of crafted items can not easily be translated into a corresponding value, in terms of amount of money, in my view.

6. Will you please post a list of all your local Craft Fairs or Markets. I live in Farwell, Mi. , but I would live to attend some fairs that have a variety of crafts. I would enjoy the road trip. Thank You

7. You truly made a lot of excellent stuff in ur blog post, “CraftSanity – A blog
    and podcast for those who love everything handmade

8. holdmoon says:

One of the best parts of my job is the interesting people, i also love this