Inspired To Weave By The People I Teach

1. Diane says:

Your new rug is so pretty!! Glad you made some time for yourself, Jennifer, and have such a pretty, useful rug for you!

Me? I’ve been finishing quilts that have been piling up here. Sent one to Japan after the tsunami and earthquake, almost finished one for the floods here in the U.S., but didn’t make the deadline – it’ll be ready for the next unfortunate event.

One quilt needs the handsewing on the binding for my nephew, and another needs the handsewing for the Maryknoll Mission and another needs the binding sewn on the for retreat center.

I need to order your small loom so I can make a cute rug for me! I have the bigger loom, but the little looms make such cute projects!

2. It feels so good to break away from a To-do list and do some restorative crafting.

My craft that gets pushed to the wayside is Digital Scrapbooking. I finally organized my stash of virtual papers and elements, so I can make some time and get down to the business of recording my memories. I have to give myself permission to do that soon.

I have other crafts I want to do, like two kits I ordered from Alicia Paulsen (Posie Gets Cozy) that I have yet to crack into. I buy things with good intentions to tackle them right away and then they sit. :(

Thanks for this post. It is nice to be reminded that it is okay to do what you love!

3. Beth says:

I love your new rug…think I’ll buy a little loom for my daughter’s bday~she’ll love crafting!

4. Hi, my name is Whitney.

I love the rug you made. Wow. I have been looking for an affordable floor covering for my livingroom since my daughter is crawling, and she doesn’t particularly like the hard wood floors. :)

I think we have similar interests, and I have a blog at http://www.loveinhabit.com

I would love it if you would check it out and become a follower ;) I have a goal of gaining 100 followers by 2012.

Can’t wait to see more of you on the internet.

-Whitney

5. April Hunt says:

Lovely rug. So glad you made something for YOURSELF! I have the same problem. Unfortunately, my list of quilts to make for others has gotten a little long and I won’t have time for my own quilt till next year sometime. But I am determined to do it. Three, actually. I have dreams of THREE quilts just for me. :)

6. Elizabeth says:

*crazy maniacal laugh* The list of what I don’t have time to make is too long to even get into. On that note, I have August mentally slated as “Make A Lot” month, so hopefully that list will dwindle! Though, now your rug has been added to it. So cute – I love it!

Glad it stayed busy for you. I was really pleased to see that. So nice to meet your sisters, too.

7. Holly U says:

Love this rug! What did you use? Is it just cotton quilting fabric? I love the look you achieved but am worried about fraying, especially after a few launderings.

I have at least a bajillion ideas, most of which I don’t get to, and crafty blogs like yours just give me more, darnit! In fact, after seeing this post, I pulled out the cheap-o plastic potholder loom I found at a thrift store to try this myself. I made some tarn (t-shirt yarn) — my first attempt at that — but then the tute I found for weaving on this loom shows I”d need a crochet hook, which I don’t have. So instead I decided to try another weaving project that recently caught my eye, done on a hula hoop. Or a round quilting frame in my case, which is the closest I have to a hula hoop: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/hula-hoop-rug-995304/

Which is a loooong way of saying that my pile of WIPs is growing along with my list of ideas to get to ‘someday’!

8. Bev says:

I’ve got a list like Holly’s, and now I’m going to use her word, bajilion, to describe it! I recently decided that I should give myself permission to enjoy ideas as mental playtime – dreams of colorful fabric are pretty good even if you’re stuck on another plane/ on meeting, waiting room, at traffic lights…..

That said, I stacked out three quilts on my sewing table in the front room and every now and then I get to sew a few seams, so the little stacks of patterns are slowly growing….

I love your rug!
    Oh, and I was going to comment how similar those three happy ladies looked, and then I saw you said they’re your sisters. No kidding!

9. I’m so, so glad you took the time to make something for yourself. I’ve heard from many full time artists and craftspeople that they no longer have time to play, to make things for the sake of making them, and it makes me very sad. That’s my favorite part of creativity!

I’m not a full time artist. Right now, my full time job is recovering from a double whammy shoulder injury. This takes up a lot of my time, and I often find myself having to choose. If I do my rehab exercises, I have to spend the next hour icing, not writing or making jewelry. However! Recently I’ve discovered that timers, not diamonds, are a girl’s best friend. I set mine for 30 minutes at a time and stop when it’s done, and that way I don’t overextend myself. I don’t know about you, but when I actively schedule creative me-time, I tend to be able to fit it in and stick to my schedule.

That said, I really have to get back to work on my tutu. It’s just for me, it’s silly, and it looks awesome. It looks lonely sitting there in my studio!

10. kris says:

I love the rug, how did you attach the small squares together.