Strawberry Jam: One of the Highlights of Michigan Summers

1. Elizabeth says:

I love how you made a recipe from your own mag. Gives me even more confidence (not that I wasn’t before) of the things you choose to feature in it.

I hope to do the same this week!

2. Laurie says:

I will be giving the strawberry jam recipe a go as soon as I get my PDF copy. I also make a lovely peach jam that is summer in a jar. Now to get my crochet skills to the point I can follow a pattern because those covers are too cute. I made a round bottom knit bags that looks a lot like yours. I made up the pattern because I didn’t like the rectangular bags I was finding.

3. Laurie says:

PS: I’m north of you in Tustin.

4. jennifer says:

Elizabeth, part of the joy of making this magazine is collecting the things I love into each issue. The jam recipe has become a favorite and I still LOVE the pita bread from issue one. Speaking of which, I think I’m going to make some bread this week.

5. sally says:

Wow! Please check with your university extension office about sealing jam jars in the oven! Years ago I researched canning methods and the oven sealing method was DEFINITELY not considered safe by food safety experts at my university extension office. Best of luck to you.

6. jennifer says:

Hi Sally. I will check into this further, but can tell you that my jars sealed and popped just like they do in the water canner. The oven method is detailed on p. 42 of “The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook” by Rachel Saunders, who has more than a decade of canning experience under her belt and operates a commercial jam company. Lydia Adams’ recipe that was published in CraftSanity can still be used by those who want to seal their jars using a water canner. Which ever method you use, it’s important to check to make sure the jars are sealed. The center of the lids curve in slightly when they have sealed properly. When making jam, by all means use a method you’re comfortable with.

7. jennifer says:

Hi Laurie. Thanks for stopping by. I’ve never been to Tustin. Any DIY-craft attractions in town?

1. June 18, 2011

[…] forgot to mention in my earlier post that I published a fun and easy crochet pattern in CraftSanity Magazine issue 3 to pretty up your […]