The Truth About Curtains: I’d Rather Use My Sewing Machine To Make Almost Anything Else

1. Amy says:

wait, what? you’re supposed to line curtains? I didn’t get that memo. :)

2. oh, I’m so with you on this one. I sewed curtains for our living room a long time ago and my jury is still out on whether or not the project was a success!

3. Suzanne says:

I can totally agree with you here. I have sewn endless curtains for our apartment. Each time it takes me HOURS and then when I hang them up I always just think they look okay. Grr!! Good luck! :)

4. jennifer says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t love sewing curtains. I plan to buy the lining fabric tomorrow. We’ll see how long it takes me to kick this project out. : )

5. brandi says:

I can’t seem to find the right kinda of fabric for my curtains. I have passive solar and want to keep the light comeing in but hold back the heat in the summer…That’s my excuse for not making curtains yet.

6. DianeP says:

I made curtains for my Aunt’s bedroom at the Nursing Home three years ago and that is the LAST time I will ever make curtains.

Thought it would be easy – make a rod pocket, hem them up a bit – what could go wrong? First, don’t sew with shear rayon fabric, second, don’t sew with shear rayon fabric and third, don’t sew with shear rayon fabric. Enough said.

7. Mandy says:

Right there with you- except we’ve been in our house 11 years!

8. oh I hear you sista! I need to make curtains for my studio and they keep falling to the BOTTOM of the list. Do not want to do them. They need to be custom because the windows are funky so its either I make ‘em or I simply can’t look at my computer from 1 to 6pm due to the blinding sun! soon, I say, soon . . . Good luck with yours. Be sure to show us the final product.

9. For me the size of the curtains makes them difficult – it feels like I’m swamped in fabric! They’re just hard to maneuver. Good luck!

10. Beth says:

I think the fabric is very pretty. And since you love turquoise, I bet you’ll LOVE looking at them every day. :)

11. Sarah S says:

Perfect timing! I’ve been searching for new curtains and have been striking out. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I will probably be sewing them. Huge panels to wrestle and hem and all that boring straight line sewing. The best part is when they’re done! :)

12. Erin N. says:

My mom started helping me sew curtains a couple of months ago. We finished one. One! The (beautiful) fabric is sitting in a Rubbermaid container just waiting. There’s no way I am going to do it without mom help/motivation though. Ugh.

13. April Hunt says:

Sewing curtains/drapes is torture! I made 8 massive lined panels for my bedroom and if I hadn’t had my mother-in-law helping me and requiring that we don’t cut corners, they’d be one big expensive, unfinished disaster.

Okay, so this isn’t the most encouraging comment I could leave… ;)

Maybe my problem was that we were making these massive drapes in 95 degree humid weather, without air conditioning, and I was 7-9 months pregnant through the ordeal. And I used two different fabrics in each panel.

Yeah, your project should be a breeze. You can do it! :)

14. Erin Wagner says:

I have no comment to share on the making of curtains but I DO have to say that I love that fabric. What fabulous pillows it would also make. Where did you find it?

15. jennifer says:

I bought the fabric on a whim at JoAnn’s.

16. uptodate says:

It only goes to show where theres will theres a way. Keep on trying. My one regret in life is that I am not someone else. Woody Allen Born 1935

1. June 23, 2011

[…] and the curtains are up! A friend came to my rescue and ended up doing most of the work on the project. Since I have no desire to pursue a career sewing window treatments I’m completely cool with […]