Hello again. It’s been a while.

1. Becky says:

Perhaps the people making them used a knitting machine for some of the more tedious elements? It wouldn’t behoove me either to make and sell those for $4.50 — but I’m an admitted slow knitter. Looking forward to the June issue!! <3

2. joyce says:

Well, I’m thinking that maybe the economy is extreemly depressed in whatever part of the world these were made? I’m sure there are places where if a person got one dollar for each one they made, it would be considered a boon to their income. It seems incredible to those of us living in more developed countries. The other day I read that the average income for city dwellers in China is equivilant to 2,700 dollars per year, and less than half that for those living in rural areas.

3. jo 戎嶋 says:

several years ago I was travelling in South America and I bought 10 of these little finger puppets for $2, not each, for the lot. At the time you could get a meal with a drink for $2 or a massive bag of groceries so if they are being bought down there then I can see how they can make them for so little. I am a useless knitter, it would take me 3 weeks to make!

4. Elizabeth says:

About the puppets – what Jo and Joyce said. Plus, if you’re really concerned, I’d recommend asking the shop directly. Women at Risk sells similar finger puppets for $2 or $3 dollars from a womens’ cooperative in Peru. Places like that usually love to answer your questions.

Best wishes on the summer mag – loving my others! :)

5. Amy says:

On teaching Abby’s class to sew–I recently made an effort at teaching my oldest son’s 2nd grade class to crochet–boy did I have my work cut out for me! There were definitely some frustrated 7 and 8-year-olds, but it was fun to see how eager they were, and even more fun watching my son hopping around helping all his friends! Did Abby’s class get to finish their tooth fairy pouches? We didn’t quite get to finish their projects–friendship bracelets out of a simple crochet chain–it was a fun challenge though!

6. jennifer says:

Hi Amy. Yes, all the kids got their tooth pouches done, so the project was successful in that regard. It is challenging to teach a roomful of kids how to make something. Thankfully, my husband came alone and Abby’s teacher helped, too. I was too busy to take pictures which always happens when I teach. It would have been fun to snap a photo of the kids in action so their parents could see how hard they worked.

1. June 24, 2011

[…] a career sewing window treatments I’m completely cool with this. I did learn a lot doing a tad bit myself and then watching her  work. (Thank you so much!!) I’m so happy that I still like the floral […]