Form vs. Function: What does your art do?

1. Zom says:

Art heals, art can open the heart. You can have a relationship with a piece of art. Kind of like a vase of flowers. tee hee

2. Catherine says:

I love Heather’s work and was so excited to see her in the paper this weekend!

I think the beauty of art is that it doesn’t have to do anything other than evoke a feeling. I have some of Heather’s pieces in my workspace and they just make me feel content and inspired. Everyone can have a crystal vase, but there’s something genuinely special about finding that handmade piece that you feel a connection too rather than plunking down $40 on something “useful”.

3. Bev says:

‘Evoke’ is such a great word. Catherine put it well, for me — it’s about the feeling or the memories or other intangible things that an object brings up in you as a response. Sculpture, art, fabrics, they al do that for me, sometimes.

4. Heather says:

There has been such a wonderful response to the article, I saw people at the ARTisans’ Market that I haven’t seen in years and they came because they read your column. And I really love your comments here. Thanks Jennifer (and everyone)!

5. Rane says:

Dr. Suess would completely understand!
    I love it…almost fairy~ish! beautiful~
    (*Ü*)
    ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

6. Turtle says:

i agree. If something makes you think or even smile and you find you enjoy it, who cares if it serves a purpose … it’s art! :)

7. Lesley says:

I totally agree, I recently had a similiar experience when I posted a fabric sculpture piece I did on facebook and one of my friends said it was nice but what the H do you do with it? LOL-she is not so artsy and totally did not get it. But I understood because that is just her. LOL