West Michigan sounds off about the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

1. Thank you for keeping this issue alive. I had not heard of it until reading it here. It’s just a shame to lose good creative outlets and sources of income for something that seems to have good intentions but unexpected effects for a large community of small businesses!

2. tasha roe says:

THanks for keeping this important issue in the headlines. it is a very sad situation for many small business owners. we have friends that are closing boutiques and others that are fighting with children’s toy manufacturers for their businesses.

3. Lona says:

Thanks you, Jennifer, for calling Rep. Ehlers and for writing this column. You are the patron saint of Michigan indie crafters, and this column needed to be written by you.

Here’s hoping the “powers that be” listen.

4. Turtle says:

it is a sad and frustrating event. who and what were they thinking to make such a general law!! thankyou for posting the petition links.

5. Dee B says:

I know this is going to sound very ‘tin-foil hat’-ish, but I can’t help but think that large manufacturers are pushing this in government just to push out the little guys.

Waxman, who pushed this bill, was also the one that was pushing another bill that would deeply affect my industry, soaps and bath and beauty items. The FDA Globalization Act would basically put small time soapmakers/crafters out of business, as it would require huge fees to license your business with the FDA. This would be no big deal for the L’Oreals and the Revlons (both companies which pushed the legislation) but would put out of business most home crafters and business people.

6. Xanthe says:

Hi Jennifer,
    I’m so glad you’re talking about this issue. I do not make children’s products, but I buy them. I want handmade items, like those you have showcased in your podcast.

I am still shocked that Congress (both parties) could be so thick! I’ve written to my reps and local (I live in Wisconsin) radio stations, but this is still mostly ignored. I’ve signed petitions. This is so frustrating!

I know the police aren’t going to swoop down on day one, but no one I know wants to break the law. So when economic news is at its worst, congress puts more people out of work just because they write a bad bill.

How about the other consequences? What does this do to schools, libraries, and day cares? Will I be risking high fines and felony jail time if I sell a toy at a garage sale that is found later to exceed the lead limits? Where will all these perfectly safe but untested products go? Landfills…what a disaster!

Thanx again Jennifer and keep up the good work!

7. Mindy says:

Thanks for writing about this issue. We just did a post as part of the “Say No to CPSIA blog-in” if you’re interested.

8. Simone says:

I had no idea that this was what was behind the “Save handmade” thing (new Zealander) All i can say is its frightening and i hope we do not follow suit. Is there any way to create a loop hole? Perhaps calling the toys “souvenirs” or “ornaments” that sort of thing? Or perhaps some sort of disclaimer? I’m no expert tho.

9. Candy says:

I was curious about if newspapers would be under this law? I’ve read more about the publishing industry being affected, possibly even libraries. But what about the comics sections that have kid specific activities that run at least weekly in newspapers? Wouldn’t those fall under the same type of scrutiny? I ask here since you are a columnist with a paper, and maybe it has been discussed there.

I would think if newspapers and print media in general was to fall under this huge sweeping firing squad of testing requirements, this might be a bigger story that people even realize. Just curious.

10. Johanna Lu says:

Hi! I just want to say that I nominated you for a Kreativ blogger award, not just because you are mean crafter and writer but also because your great podcasts and your inspiring attitude. So I really want to spread the word about Craftsanity to more folks out there!

11. Diane says:

Perhaps as a compromise, makers of handmade toys could offer to put a disclaimer or warning tag on the toys (like so many other products). Since buyers tend to know or trust the makers, that probably wouldn’t hurt sales much.

12. sewbettie says:

thank you for your article. you have always been an amazing advocate for handmade artists.

13. Well, I say, you are probably looking past, over, below or around it.

Moreover, good quotes are often effective in capturing the essence
    of something; here are a few good ones:. Ohio can jurassic
    park builder triche actually influence nation-wide
    politics.